Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Salsa

I received an email from a friend this afternoon asking if I wanted to take a free salsa dancing lesson tonight at a dance studio near our house. I jumped at the opportunity as who can resist an evening out and the chance to learn something new! I had no idea what to wear or what to expect…heck, I didn’t even know where this place was but I couldn’t wait. I was picturing the Dancing with the Stars practices where the girls were wearing workout clothes with dancing heels. I went through all my heels and found one pair that has an ankle strap and are only about 2 ½ inches high. Then I put on a pair of black capri yoga pants and black t-shirt. I mean I want to be comfortable if I’m working up a sweat and it would be impossible to dance in gym shoes! So I’m already to go when my friend called to say she was on her way. At the last minute I thought to ask her what she was wearing and she tell me jeans and heeled boots, the same thing she wore to work. D’oh! I frantically ran back into my closet and changed into jeans and boots as to not look like a complete idiot. And thank goodness I did as EVERYONE was in jeans!

The class was so much FUN! We learned the basic front back step, side to side step, and then a turn. My partner has taken dance classes at this studio before so he was helpful and we had a blast spinning around. They kept the music slow so I have no idea if I’d actually be able to keep from stepping on my feet in a club. And it was much harder to get my hips into it then what I thought it would be. But who cares, I salsa danced!!! I came home ready to teach my husband and son. Watch out boys! :)

This dance studio offers an array of classes and you don’t need a partner, so I left with a class schedule and a coupon. Now I just have to decide what dance I want to learn first!!

No comments:

Post a Comment